Lately I’ve remembered to snarl,
to bare my teeth,
to growl and hiss.
I first remembered
during a demonstration Somatic Experiencing therapy session
in front of 60 people
(snarling in public)
while telling my story of a 5-year-old’s trauma
and claiming my present day power to threaten and defend.
Then I re-remembered while walking
past an animal trap in the grass
that had previously triggered me
over and over.
Then I remembered again
while walking past a road drain
that had associated itself
with my neglected cat Jennie
and the “taken” scene from “It”
and my fear that I’d chased a baby raccoon to its death one night.
Then I snarled again
at the Rottler man
who laid the trap.
And as I snarled
my 5-year-old’s fear and fragility
transformed into my dangerous old woman,
stepping forward toward that which isn’t right
and giving it a name.
I bared my teeth
at the careless,
and at the ones who intentionally planted fear for money.
I reclaimed my snarl
because fear became tiresome
and because it’s about bloody time!
- Lovingkindness for Ourselves (13 minutes) - November 17, 2021
- Lovingkindness for a Loved One (19 minutes) - November 10, 2021
- Arriving Meditation (9 minutes) - October 20, 2021
- Setting Up Your Meditation Space: A place to come home to - September 17, 2021
- Awakening Your Nervous System Through Tapping Practice (15 minutes) - September 12, 2021