There are many ways we can offer ourselves Self-Compassion. Here are some suggestions of things you might do right now! (Part of this list comes from the MSC program developed by Kristin Neff and Chris Germer).
- do some non-competitive, non-strenuous exercise;
- get a massage;
- take a warm bath or hot shower;
- drink a warm cup of tea of coffee;
- hug someone;
- take a nap;
- sit in the sun;
- eat chocolate (!);
- sit in a comfortable chair.
- meditate – you can follow some guided meditations here;
- watch a movie or TV show that makes you feel good;
- read something enjoyable;
- read about mindfulness or self-compassion (see this page for some great resources);
- sit on the couch and do nothing (absolutely nothing);
- pat a pet;
- allow yourself to not work so hard, just for this moment.
- call a loved one for a chat;
- meet up with friends;
- send a birthday card;
- play a game with someone;
- connect on social media.
- walk in the woods;
- help others;
- listen to inspiring music;
- listen to sacred music.
Some of the points in one list might just as easily fit into another list, depending on what you get out of the self-compassion activity. Maybe you want to just work your way down all the lists, and see which activity calls out to you. Yes, I want to sit in a comfy chair, sip tea and eat chocolate!